When the presentiment of the sun gives nature its blue – purple – orange – colors we make our first moves into the snow-covered nature of Lapland. It is the best time for the snowshoe walks in the silent woodland and hilly grounds of the fell area in the Finnish West Lapland.
This tour takes us to Finnish West Lapland, Fell areas in the national park of Pallas-Yllästunturi, and its surroundings. We start in the middle of the Fell chain area on the shores of Jerisjärvi Lake next to the Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park. Every day we make 11- 16 km tours in varying woodland and fell areas. We reach the fell tops on our way and the weather allowing have great views of the surrounding fell and lake areas. We have our breaks in Lappish Tepees (Kota) and modest forest and fell huts. Our overnighting places are well-heated cozy cottages with sauna.
Program in a nutshell
- Guided snowshoe tour in Finnish Lapland from hut to hut
- Program duration: 8 days / 7 nights, 6 activity days
- Duration of daily activity 5 – 6 hours
- Main guiding language is English, group size 4-12 persons
See more on Fell Trek
- Day 1 – Arrival day. Transfer (optional) from Kittilä airport to Rauhala Village. A short introduction to the next days’ program. Dinner and overnight stay in cabins or rooms for 2-3 persons.
- Day 2 – A day for orientation, we make a shorter trip in the surrounding area. Dinner and overnight stay.
- Day 3 – After breakfast, we make our luggage ready for transportation to the next overnight place. The guide tells about the program and route of the tour. The route takes us first to Lake Keimiöjärvi and then after to a little Village of Rasti. In Rasti we have our evening meal, sauna and overnight stay.
- Day 4 – Today we continue snowshoeing along the sides of Pallastunturi Hill towards our next destination of village Kerässieppi. Dinner and sauna.
- Day 5 – From Kerässieppi we head over Pallastunturi Fells to our overnight place in Harrisaajo, where we will have dinner and sauna. The huts in Harrisaajo can be called semi-wilderness-type huts as they have electricity, and a toilet is outside. Sauna is a traditional Finnish wood-heated sauna.
- Day 6 – We make a day tour from Harrisaajo to the surrounding Fell areas and Rihmakuru valley. Lunch break in a tepee on the open fire.
- Day 7 – On our last day, we hike from Harrisaajo to Pallastunturi and get transported back to our base camp in Rauhala.
- Day 8 – Departure day, breakfast at Rauhala.
Due to the weather conditions and other circumstances, minor changes to the program are possible.
See more on Fell Trek