A demanding ski tour week (245 km) on memorable ski tracks in the area of Ylläs-Pallas-Ounas fell chain and Pallas-Yllästunturi National park. We ski from south to north through the unspoiled wilderness of the Lappish tundra and forests. Skating is possible on parts of the tour.
After a brisk skiing day, we chill out in a bath in a sauna and have a delicious dinner. Some days we stay the night in simple huts and cabins, where the only comforts are a wood-heated sauna, a tasty meal, good company and a warm sleeping bag. The luggage will be transported from cabin to cabin, so, on the ski track, you need only a small backpack for lunch, warm drink and accessories for that day.
Program in a nutshell
- Guided demanding cross-country ski tour in Finnish Lapland from hut to hut
- Program duration: 8 days / 7 nights, 6 skiing days
- Total distance 245 km, day trips 35-55 km, classic skiing style
- Main guiding language is English, max 12 persons *
- Price 990 € / person
Programback to top
- Day 1 – Transportation from Kittilä airport to Rauhala. Overnight accommodation in a holiday cabin or in the rooms for 2 persons. Dinner and a short presentation of the week program. Accommodation.
- Day 2 – After breakfast, an hour bus drive takes us northward to Hetta, Lappish Village by Lake Ounasjärvi, the starting point of the skiing trip. Today’s route takes us first through the woods to a little hut of Pyhäkero and after a short break to Sioskuru cabin, where we will have a lunch break. From Sioskuru we continue along a forest skiing trail to our overnighting place in Ketomella. There in the traditional forest hut, we will have dinner, enjoy a sauna and stay overnight. Weather permitting, we have beautiful scenery to the surrounding open fell area. The distance of the day tour is approx. 27 km in varying woodland and fell grounds. (mainly classic style).
- Day 3 – Today we continue our skiing tour in on varying tracks in tranquil forests and hills first up to Hannukuru cabin, where we will have a lunch break and then down to Raattama Village. After a brisk skiing day sauna, evening meal and overnight stay in a cottage. The distance of the day tour is approx. 30 km (classic and partly skating style).
- Day 4 – In the morning we start our day tour to the majestic open hills to visit the Nammalkuru wilderness hut. After a lunch break, a tour continues mostly downhill to our overnighting place in Raattama. Sauna, evening meal and overnight stay. The day route goes along the wooded low land areas as well as on the fells and the daily distance is about 25 km- 30 km (mostly classic style)
- Day 5 – Today we continue on skis towards Pallas hills. In the Pallastunturi information centre of Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park, we learn more about the National Park and the surrounding areas – it’s flora, fauna and history- from an exhibition and multimedia show. From Pallas, we continue towards Jerisjärvi Lake. Overnight stay in a holiday cottage. The day distance is about 35 km (classic and partly skating style).
- Day 6 – Our ski tour continues towards Sammaltunturi, Keimiötunturi and onwards to a little village of Rauhala. In Rauhala evening meal and overnight. In the evening we go through the day’s distances and tomorrows trails.
- Day 7 – Today we continue on skis through the woods and on the hilly grounds towards Äkäslompolo. Our day distance is about 55 km (mostly classic style).Transfer to Rauhala. Sauna, evening meal and overnight stay. We go through the week’s tours and experiences after the evening meal.
Day 8 – Breakfast in Rauhala, departure.
To participate in this tour you should be experienced skier with cross-country skiing experience, good technique and be able to ski 8 km/hour in varying terrain ( on track), max. 55 km/day.
What is included
- Guidance and guide’s services
- Full board as mentioned in the programme: breakfast, lunch bags, dinner, accommodation
- Transportation for the luggage during the program
- Return transit from Kittilä Airport or Levi to Rauhala
- Bus transportation according to the program
- Additional night in Rauhala (full board), 94 € / day (limited availability, check before booking)
- Rent of skiing equipment (skis, poles and ski boots), 88 € / week
Accommodation first and last nights is in the base camp Rauhala in holiday cabins or rooms for 2-3 persons. During the tour, accommodation is in wilderness huts and holiday cottages in rooms for 2, 4 or 6 people. Most of the cottages have electricity and running water. Sauna is available every evening.
Book a scheduled tripback to top
- few places
- fully booked
|Sat, 22 Feb 2020 - Sat, 29 Feb 2020 Unconfirmed|
|Sat, 29 Feb 2020 - Sat, 7 Mar 2020 Unconfirmed|
|Sat, 7 Mar 2020 - Sat, 14 Mar 2020 ( 990 €, deposit: 200 €)|
|Sat, 14 Mar 2020 - Sat, 21 Mar 2020 ( 990 €, deposit: 200 €)|
|Sat, 21 Mar 2020 - Sat, 28 Mar 2020 Unconfirmed|
|Sat, 28 Mar 2020 - Sat, 4 Apr 2020 ( 990 €, deposit: 200 €)|
|Sat, 4 Apr 2020 - Sat, 11 Apr 2020 ( 990 €, deposit: 200 €)|
If you are interested in an unconfirmed start date, please send us a request. Thank you!
Terms and conditionsback to top
Health, safety and insuranceAny medical conditions (such as diabetes, heart disease or epilepsy) or other issue which could influence performance during the trip as well as special diets should be informed to the organiser well before the tour. Take possible personal medication and prescriptions packed in a waterproof package. We recommend that you take an travel insurance with a cancellation cover for your flights and holiday. With an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) you can receive necessary medical treatment for free or at a reduced cost in Finland, however the card does not render travel insurance obsolete.
How to get thereWe start our tour from Rauhala Village in Kittilä, about 30 minutes drive from Kittilä Airport (KTT). We can arrange transfer from any flight arriving to or departing from Kittilä. Rauhala is located ca. 30 km from Levi Ski Resort and ca. 40 km from Ylläs Ski Resort (Äkäslompolo Village). There are several ways to get to Rauhala.
Price and reservation informationDeposit (reservation fee) is 200 € / person . Deposit is primarily paid with credit card on booking. Final payment is due 12 days prior to tour start and it can be paid with credit card or bank transfer (IBAN) . After you have reserved flight or other tickets, please send us arrival/departure times and flight codes, so we can pick you up right time from the airport or inform about arrival to Rauhala. Please inform us also any health/medical conditions or special diets, we should take into consideration. If the passenger cancels the booking for no particular reason (see Package Travel Act, § 15) at least 12 days before the departure date the cancellation cost is equal to booking fee. Later cancelations are assessed the entire program fee . Office fee is 75€/person (in case of changes or cancellations defined in Package Travel Act). The company (Netgalleria Oy - Feel The Nature Treks ) is a package holiday company registered by Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority and it has lodged security against advance payments for travel. This tour is a package defined in Finnish Package Travel Act. For more information: http://www.kkv.fi/en/ . Due to the weather conditions and other circumstances changes to the program are possible.
Equipment and clothingback to top
Personal Equipment Checklist
- Ski suit or other suitable outer layer (jacket, pants) clothing for skiing
- Woolly hat, warm ski gloves
- Long underwear
- Thin fleece and long sleeve thermal
- Scarf / hood
- Windproof jacket with hood, scarf
- Socks – Medium thickness wool / synthetic socks or medium socks teamed with a liner.
- Skis (classic style, max 55 mm wide), poles and ski boots, ski wax
- Backpack for day trips, Thermos bottle
- Sunglasses, Sun lotion
- Warm winter boots
- Comfortable clothing for cottage and evenings
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Towels, toiletries
- Hut slippers
- Sleeping bag (night temperatures in the wilderness cabin can be between +10 – +15 °C)
- Personal medications, Basic first aid kit, Blister kit (athletic tape, Compeed)
Prepare for colder ski-days before mid-March with:
- warmer ski gloves/mittens
- extra second layer (synthetic/wool) or warmer ski suit
There is limited mobile coverage in the area. In some areas where you cannot make a phone call, you could anyway send/receive SMS.
If you rent skiing equipment package from us, you can use your own ski boots with Salomon SNS Classic – bindings.