Rauhala Village by Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park is located ca. 200 km north of The Arctic Circle. This hiking program leads us to treeless arctic hills and forests of Finnish West Lapland in the surroundings of Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park. During the tour, we experience and learn about nature, local culture, and the way of living in The Arctic.
Program in a nutshell
- Guided hiking and canoeing week in Finnish Lapland
- Program duration: 8 days / 7 nights, 5 hiking days, 1 canoeing day
- Day trips from the base camp guesthouse, typical hiking trip 13-16 km per day
- The main guiding language is English, group size 2 – 12 persons
More info on Fell Trek
We start our daily hiking trips from the shores of the Jerisjärvi Lake to the surrounding fells, forests, and lakes. During our week in unique Lappish nature, we will conquer seven fells and canoe over a fishy lake. We learn about reindeer herding and the everyday life in Lapland now and before. We cook and grill our meal over an open fire.
During the week the guide tells about the specialties of Lapland; reindeer herding, northern lights, vivid autumn colors (Ruska time), polar night, midsummer time and other aspects of the Lappish life and nature.
- Day 1 – Arrival day. Dinner and overnight in Rauhala. Accommodation in holiday cabins or in rooms for 2 persons.Northern Lights in Lapland
- Day 2 – After breakfast, the guide briefs us about the program of the coming hiking week. We start our first-day hiking tour through the woods and over the hill Järvilaki along the Old horse road. We hike today 15 km in varying woodland areas and hilly grounds. During the weekdays time, the guide tells about the surrounding nature.
- Days 3 – 6 – Every hiking day we make some 13-16 km hiking tours in varying woodland and fell areas. One of the days is a canoeing day when we paddle with Indian canoes on the Jerisjärvi Lake and visit the old fishermen’s huts, where the guide tells about the life around the Jerisjärvi Lake fishing livelihood, true stories, and tales. Canoeing in Lapland
- Day 7 – We start our tour with a bus drive to Pallas – Yllästunturi National Parks visitor center. There we see a multimedia show about the flora and fauna of the area. Our hiking tour leads us from Pallas to Lake Sarvijärvi, where we make our lunch break. In the late afternoon, we will drive back to our overnight place at Rauhala and enjoy our last meal together in Lappish surroundings.
- Day 8 – Departure day. After the breakfast transfer to Kittilä airport.
More info on Fell Trek