Program in a nutshell
- Professionally guided backcountry ski tour in Finnish Lapland from hut to hut
- Program duration: 8 days / 7 nights, 6 skiing days
- The duration of a skiing day is 5 – 6 hours
- Main guiding language is English, group size 4-12 persons
See more on Fell Trek pages
During this ski tour, we ski with touring skis partly on prepared ski tracks as well on snowmobile tracks and wind-hardened snow blanket on open hill areas. The luggage will be transported from cabin to cabin, so on the ski track, you need only a small backpack for lunch, warm drink, and accessories for that day. Duration of a skiing day is 5 – 6 hours.
After a brisk skiing day, we relax in a bath in a sauna and have a delicious dinner. We stay the night in simple but cosy huts, where the only comforts are a wood-heated sauna, a tasty meal, good company and warm sleeping bag.
Polar night, in Finnish Kaamos, starts here at this latitude on the 4th of December and continues till 10th of January. During this time the sun is not to be seen above the horizon. However, it is not as dire as it may sound – during the Polar Nights, the landscape is covered in snow, beautifully reflecting the light of the stars above. Twilight around noon – and headlamps – gives enough light to our trek. The time of the Polar Nights is the perfect time to watch the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis)
- Day 1 – Arrival day. Transfer (optional) from Kittilä airport to Rauhala Village. A short introduction to the next days’ program. Dinner and overnight stay in cabins or rooms for 2-3 persons.
- Day 2 – A day for orientation, we make a shorter trip to the surrounding area. Dinner and overnight stay.
- Day 3 – After breakfast, we make our luggage ready for transportation to the next overnight place. The guide tells about the program and route of the tour. Before the start, we test ski equipment and the tour begins. Ski route takes us first to Lake Keimiöjärvi and then after to a little Village of Rasti. In Rasti we have our evening meal, sauna and overnight stay.
- Day 4 – Today we continue skiing along the sides of Pallastunturi Hill towards our next destination of village Kerässieppi. Dinner and sauna.
- Day 5 – From Kerässieppi we head our skis over Pallastunturi Fells to our overnight place in Harrisaajo, where we will have dinner and sauna. The huts in Harrisaajo can be called semi-wilderness type huts as they have electricity, a toilet is outside. Sauna is a traditional Finnish wood-heated sauna.
- Day 6 – We make a day tour from Harrisaajo to the surrounding Fell areas and Rihmakuru valley. Lunch break in a tepee on the open fire.
- Day 7 – On our last day, we ski from Harrisaajo to Pallastunturi and get transported back to our base camp in Rauhala.
- Day 8 – Departure day, breakfast at Rauhala.
Due to the weather conditions and other circumstances, minor changes to the program are possible.
See more on Fell Trek pages