This guided wilderness canoeing day takes you to a relaxed paddling trip on stunningly scenic Lake Jerisjärvi in Rauhala Village and by Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park is located ca. 200 km north of The Arctic Circle. On the break by the campfire, we learn about local nature, life and customs.
You can extend your trip and stay overnight in the local guesthouse by the lake, enjoying sauna and outdoor activities. The canoeing trip is suitable for beginners.
Program in a nutshell
- A guided canoeing trip on Jerisjärvi lake by Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park.
- Return transportation from Kittilä Airport/Levi or Ylläs area. You can get there also by bus from Rovaniemi.
- Duration 4 h + transportation, can be extended with an overnight stay and additional activities
- Guiding language English, Finnish. Organized for private groups, group size 1 – 12 persons
- Season: June-September. Suitable for beginners
Programback to top
After picking you up, we drive to Rauhala Village located by Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park and stunningly beautiful Lake Jerisjärvi.
Before we start our canoeing trip, our experienced guide briefs canoeing safety and basic paddling technique. We paddle with Indian canoes on the Jerisjärvi Lake and visit the old fishermen’s hut area, dating back to the Middle Ages. The guide tells about the life around the Jerisjärvi Lake fishing livelihood, true stories, and tales. In the middle of the trip, we have a break by with coffee/tea, with Finnish rye-bread sandwiches and home-baked sweet rolls.
If you want to stay overnight in the guesthouse you have more time to relax in the tranquil nature of Lapland. You can relax in the sauna and swim in the lake and after that have tasty dinner. Summer nights are long for a walk in nature while in September nights are long enough to see Northern Lights.
What is included
- Transportation from Levi or Kittilä
- Professional guiding and guide’s services
- All required canoeing equipment; Indian canoes – two persons in a canoe, canoeing vest, paddles
- Light lunch by the campfire (coffee / a tea; juice, Finnish style rye-sandwich, home-baked sweet bun.
- Additional nature hike in the National Park (can include a visit to the National Park) or canoeing trip (duration 2 h).
- Fish meal by the campfire; flamed/grilled fish, campfire root vegetables, sauce,
- Overnight stay in the local guesthouse including dinner, a sauna by the lake and breakfast.
- Return transportation from Ylläs Area (Ylläs, Äkäslompolo or Ylläsjärvi)
You can select optional overnight stay (after the activity) in the Rauhala guesthouse by Jerisjärvi lake. The option contains dinner, accommodation in rooms for 2-3 persons, and breakfast. All rooms have dedicated toilet and shower and there is a possibility to bathe in the sauna. Rauhala family have had a guesthouse in the village from the 19th century.
We start our activity at Rauhala Village by Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park in Kittilä. We can pick you up (and drop off) from Levi or Kittilä Airport. Optional transportation from Ylläs Area is also available. You can get to Rauhala also by bus from Rovaniemi. There are several ways to get to Rauhala.
Photosback to top
Book a Private Programback to top
Frequently Asked Questionsback to top
Is it possible to see Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis)?
In June-July you can enjoy midnight sun and it is too light to see Aurora Borealis. In September nights are dark enough and you have good chances to see them when the sky is clear.
Can we combine foraging day and canoeing day programs?
Yes, you can. If you for example book a canoeing day plus overnight stay and canoeing day for the next day, we offer you an extra 2 hours activity program at no extra cost.